Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hello everyone!!!…

I am Florian Rohrmoser, I am 27 years old and I work for PPDD as a volunteer for one year now. After earning my Bachelor I started a Master Program in European Studies and International Relations in Istanbul, Turkey. As luck would have it, Anna Malindog, the head of PPDD had the same idea and so we traveled and studied together for a year in different countries in Europe. She offered me a job and that is how I been involved in Light School.

As I was not entirely sure of what to do after my studies, this opportunity came in the nick of time. This is my first experience working with grassroots people. I have to say, I never imagined it to be that affecting but also exciting and diversified. I was holding the position of Director of Light School. Part of my job is curriculum development, fundraising, school daily management and administration, and I also teach English in the school, the children on the one, the parents of the kids and the rest of the teachers on the other hand. The rest of my work varies from writing and responding to e-mails, going to meetings with other heads of different organizations and working on different projects of PPDD in various capacities. As far as the school is concern, it developed and improved so much in the last 10 months. So much has been done but still much can be done for the school.

Teaching is actually really great! Children here are different! They want to learn, they love going to school and they give teachers credit for what they do. Even if they do not have a high level of academic education they are very well educated when it comes to manners in social interaction. Like for example, if a teacher is tired and is resting, there will be at least 3 kids waving him/her air until he wakes up! Anyway they laugh a lot, they help each other - the bigger would take care of the smaller ones, family or friends. It is really great to experience all these since so many of these social graces seem to be disappearing more and more in the society where I am from.

My plan was not to stay in Thailand longer than 3 months but I decided to stay because I do not want to leave a project that is only half way done and more important I could not leave the kids right now that rely on us and need us to make a sustainable and helpful education possible for them and the coming generations! Besides, I m very glad to not have a 9-5 o’clock work, that would probably bore me to death. I really love this place and the work we do! Thanks Anna for the opportunity!!!....

No comments: